Divorce can often be an all-out battle where each partner ends up spending huge amounts of money on legal fees and time and stress in the court system. That’s why more people should consider divorce mediation. It’s the perfect option for couples who are looking to get divorced but don’t want all the stress and expense of a battle.
Not sure how to choose the best divorce mediator? Mediation services should come from someone who has a proven track record of experience and an ability to show compassion. Divorce, after all, isn’t an easy process, and you’ll need someone who can be sympathetic to the emotions and concerns of both sides.
What is Divorce Mediation?
Unlike the nasty divorce that many imagine, divorce mediation is a team effort approach to divorce. It is a voluntary process in which both parties are able to plan for the future in a rational and respectful way. Normally, the couple will work with a neutral mediator who helps them come to mutual decisions. Financial neutrals and divorce coaches may also be part of the team.
Divorce mediation is also very affordable. According to lawyer sources, the average cost of divorce in Maricopa County can run $30,000-$50,000, but can be more or less depending on many factors.. Meanwhile, the average cost of mediation in Phoenix is between $7,500 and $20,000, depending on the mediation company. Mediation tends to be much faster than divorce as well. With Affordable Mediation, most divorces average between $6,000 and $10,000.
Why Choosing The Right Mediator Is So Important?
Choosing the right mediator could mean the difference between an amicable divorce and one that goes completely off the rails. A mediator should have the knowledge and skills required to show compassion while still remaining neutral.
What Questions Should I Ask a Divorce Mediator?
When meeting with a potential divorce mediator, it’s important that you ask them the right questions. An experienced mediator should be able to answer all of these questions for you openly, honestly, and to your satisfaction.
- How long have you been a divorce mediator?
- What sort of mediation training do you have?
- Do you have your background as an attorney?
- Do you have a background in counseling or psychology?
- How long will mediation take??
- How many sessions can I expect?
- How much will mediation cost?
- Do you bill a flat rate or an hourly fee or combination?
- Can we have our own attorneys?
5 Tips For Choosing A Divorce Mediator
When searching for the right divorce mediator, there are a few things you should keep an eye out for:
- Chemistry: While it may sound silly, feeling comfortable with your divorce mediator should be a high priority. You are going to be discussing very personal things, so you and your partner should both feel comfortable with whomever you choose.
- Professional Experience: You should ensure that your chosen mediator has ample experience working in divorce mediation.
- Focus: Good divorce mediators only focus on mediation for families. If your potential mediator focuses on several types of mediation, they may not be the one for you.
- Education: While mediators aren’t required to have any special qualifications, you should look for one that does have some sort of education that qualifies them to be a mediator. Look for a mediator with a background in law and counseling. You may also find someone who has taken mediator and collaborative law training courses. If you choose a Mediator who is also an actively licensed attorney, you can feel confident your important divorce decree documents are drafted properly.
- Pricing: Mediation services are not meant to break your bank. A divorce mediator’s services should be more affordable than hiring separate lawyers, and they should work to make the information as accessible as possible.
Arizona Mediation Services
With over three decades of experience, Affordable Mediation offers a blended approach to divorce mediation. With Attorneys who have law degrees and backgrounds in counseling, psychology and child services, we lean into the more human side of divorce. Our style is to approach divorce mediation using a counseling lens, with the aim of having families emerge from a divorce better than they were before. To learn more about divorce mediation, download our free Divorce Mediation Preparation Checklist. And, if you are ready to hire a mediator, give us a call at 602-714-7447